The Granny Star Tote is a beginner-friendly crochet bag perfect for using up your colorful scraps!
Finished size The final size of the handbag is approx. 13” x 13” x 2” (Approximate size based on size 2 yarn + US E hook)
Lori Holt Chunky Thread or Queensland Coastal Cotton (Fine) kits are available at https://www.pineycreekyarn.com
- Get the Grandma Star PDF pattern here!
- Main bag colour: 3 skein Lori Holt chunky yarn in clouds or 110g in 2 weight sport yarn
- 12 skeins of Lori Holt chunky thread in assorted colors (96g total or 4g ca. HST) (I used: Cloud, Peony, Cayenne, Honey, Cloud, Riley Aqua, Riley Green, Lipstick, Frosting, Pumpkin, Riley Gray and Breezy)
- US E – 3.5 mm crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Scissors for embroidery
- Optional: 1/2 yard lining fabric + Cocoknits Medium Handle Kit
Piney Creek Yarn has put together a fun set of yarns using Coastal Cotton Fine! They also have CocoKnits handle sets!
Check out Granny Star’s bag assembly video here and stay tuned next week to learn how to line this bag and add straps!
Other useful guides:
Since these squares are essentially half square-triangles, there are a variety of layouts to choose from as well! I love the star layout, but I thought it would be fun to show you some other ideas too!